Every business should have a business plan. A business plan can help you organize and structure your business. It can keep you on track with marketing goals and strategies. Starting a business without a plan is like trying to write a novel without an outline. You need an idea of what you need to do and where the business is going before you start. Read the following features of a good business plan to get started.
Business Plan Tips
- Keep your plan simple and straightforward.
- Bullet points make for easy reading but give brief explanations when needed.
- Use business charts for any numbers like income projections and reference them in the text.
- Use a simple, common font in 11 or 12 point size with only two variations for the headings and the body.
- Break it up into sections with page breaks.
- Use spacing to keep it easy to read. A common mistake in any writing format is to add too much detail. A little “white space” will make your document easier to read.
- Always spell check your document and proofread for common mistakes like “form” instead of “from.”
- Have someone else read your business plan. You may be too close to the business to know if some elements of your plan will work. A second opinion from a friend can help you know if your plan is a good one.
- A business plan is never finished. A good business plan is continually revised as your business and the market grows and changes.