Types of Therapists
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Anyone working toward licensure or studying in any of the above fields
This website is for Therapists, Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychiatrists or anyone in a similar social services field who has the qualifications to start their own private practice, has always wanted to start their own private practice or has tried to start a private practice but is having trouble attracting enough clients, dealing with insurances or other common issues. You are looking for honest, practical advice that will help you move from working a low paying job at an agency to working for yourself, making your own hours and a decent amount of money.
Do You Work for an Agency That Doesn’t Value You?
- Are you making $20 to $30 an hour for an agency that bills insurance companies $80 to $100 an hour for your services?
- Did you spend upwards of $100,000 on an education only to make hardly more than someone with a High School education or a Bachelor’s degree?
- Did you spend thousands of hours working under a Licensed Supervisor to receive a License and didn’t even receive any recognition for it at work?
- Did you receive a License and not even get a promotion or raise at work?
- Is there very little room for advancement at your job except for supervisor positions which often don’t pay much more than the salary you already make yet involve more responsibilities and less interaction with clients?
- Are you making barely enough to cover your living expenses?
- Does your job refuse to give you any benefits like health insurance or a retirement plan?
- If you have health insurance or other benefits, are you paying a high premium to have them?
- Do you feel limited in how you can work with clients because you have to do what the agency wants?
- Do you often think you would do things differently if you had your own private practice?
- Do you feel like you could help your clients more but you are limited in how much time you can spend with them due to a large caseload?
If you answered yes, this is the website for you!
I believe there are many people working in the social services field who deserve to have their own private practice. They work hard to get Licensed in their field only to discover they get little recognition for this accomplishment and aren’t paid much more than people who don’t have a License. The only options for advancement for someone with a social services License is to become a supervisor or start their own practice. There aren’t many supervisor jobs available and when they do become available, they are often given to people with 20 years or more experience. Besides, supervisor jobs don’t pay much more than other social service jobs. The only real option to make a decent salary in the social service field is to be in private practice. However, many licensed professional don’t choose to start their own therapist private practice.
What Gets in the Way of Starting a Private Practice?
- They are afraid of failure
- They lack knowledge about running a business
- They don’t know how to get on insurance panels
- They don’t understand how to bill for services
- They are uncomfortable asking clients for money
- They don’t want to be perceived as greedy
- They don’t believe in their own worth
- They don’t value the service they have to offer
- They don’t know about marketing
- They feel uncomfortable with marketing themselves
- They feel they should be helping people not charging them money
- They feel timid about seeking out referrals
- They don’t know where to find referrals
- They are afraid they won’t have any clients
- Others have discouraged them from starting a practice
- Others have told them how hard it is to get started
- They don’t think they can afford the start-up costs until they start making money
Therapist Private Practice can help you gain the knowledge and confidence you need to start a practice. You can get practical advice which will help you move forward and follow through with creating your dream practice.